Late last month I was interviewed by the lovely Michele Olivier from O&H Consulting for her super fun Podcast… “Hey! I want your job!”
Michele introduces me as someone who “takes no sh!t forging a successful career as a Construction Project Manager” and goes on to say…
“Jen Jones is a charming, no-nonsense project manager who has forged successful business and reputation for industry excellence in one of the most male dominated industries there is: construction.
In this episode she talks, not only about those challenges but also about starting her own business, and what life looks like without Covid in 2020/2021!
Based in New Zealand Jen lives in a veritable twilight zone to the rest of us. SPOILER I checked and she’s not open to marriage proposals.”
What you can expect
Here’s an overview of what we chatted about in our 47mins together:
- Why I chose the title ‘Project Consultant’
- The ‘voodoo magic’ that is project management
- My marketing tagline versus reality – what I actually do every day
- How I went from project managing tree huts to $220m+ projects
- What happened after I was told “no one will ever listen to a silly little girl like you” on a $160m project
- The only difference between a male on site and me (apart from the obvious!)
- My unusual approach to sexism and women’s rights…. hear me out, it’s not what you think!
- Whether or not the construction industry lives up to our ‘clean green New Zealand’ reputation
- The impact of Covid-19 on the home renovation sector
- The renovation tasks I don’t recommend you DIY; and the ones that aren’t as tough as you think
- Two tools everyone should have
- Which tradie deserves more credit than they get
- What you might earn as a project manager
Keen for a listen?
More about O&H Consulting
My host Michele Olivier is a self-professed Recruitment Disruptor, Career Coach, Change Agent, Resume Writer, Sarcasm Dispenser and Podcaster who is devoted to helping clients and those in need. I can attest to her sense of humour and knowledge of all things women-in-the-workplace!
Michele owns O&H Consulting, and you can find her in the following places: